Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have a lot of new methods and scientific developments emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of people the opportunity to minimize or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and fast way to fix vision, however stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by expensive ads about a particular laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Pick a doctor who resource has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a Continue physician does not know can hurt you.
4. Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional won't tell you, find another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what measures are required to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the threat of getting less than professional care!
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. Each patient gets a slightly different outcome. The very best surgeon worldwide can't ensure 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each client. Beware of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a hard sell. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of countless people around the world.